Most car accidents are minor. Your car may get a few dings and dents. You might even walk away with a few bumps and bruises. But, for the most part, everyone is okay. There are other times, however, car accident victims suffer very serious injuries. When this happens, personal injury attorneys work hard to get them the compensation they deserve.
Generally speaking, car accident victims are usually entitled to the following types of damages:
- Medical bills and future medical bills
- Lost wages and lost future income
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
For a lot of clients, pain and suffering is where they get a lion’s share of their damages. The more serious your injuries, the better chances you have of receiving damages for pain and suffering. But in order to do this, your car accident lawyer in Florida needs to prove that you suffered physical and mental anguish as a result of your car crash.
How Much Can You Expect to Get for Pain and Suffering?
When it comes to certain types of damages, it isn’t that hard to calculate what you’re owed. For example, you have receipts showing how much it cost to repair or replace your vehicle. You’ll also have copies of medical bills and what you paid out of pocket. But for pain and suffering, there is nothing your attorney can point to. In order to determine what you’re entitled to, your car accident attorney needs to look at the following things:
- How serious were your injuries?
- Are you able to enjoy a social life similar to what you had before the crash?
- Can you still take care of your family and pick up your children?
- Do you need psychological care as a result of the accident?
- Did you need to undergo painful surgeries?
- Does your doctor think your injuries will have long-term effects?
- Are you using pain medication to manage your physical condition?
Your Florida personal injury attorney will present evidence of all of these things. If your case goes to trial, the jury or judge will decide how much pain and suffering you deserve.
If you’ve been injured in a motor vehicle accident in Florida, call our Boca Raton Car Accident Lawyers for a consultation..